Nope, it’s not flashy, shiny, or even visible to most. But, a solid foundation for goal setting will set the stage for the most powerful and life-changing goals you have ever attempted!
Have you ever gotten excited about a goal and then fizzled out pretty quickly? Or, have you ever worked on a goal and gotten so laser focused that you ignored other aspects of life (to your detriment)?
Consider it like a building project. The actual written goals are like the walls, doors, and windows to the house. They are core and essential to the overall look and as we take a step back and assess, we think we’re doing a good job building a house!
But, what happens when, as the gospel of Matthew points out to us, the rain falls, the floods come, and the winds beat on the house? If there’s no foundation, the walls will crumble pretty quickly.
We need to be sure we’re building our house on a solid, rock foundation.
Identify Your Core Values and Roles
One of the most stabilizing foundations for your goals is to consider these two questions:
1. What are your greatest motivators?
2. What are your essential responsibilities?
This is where identifying your Core Values & Roles can be a great helper! When you know what’s truly, deep down, the most important motivators to you, you can set goals that acknowledge and support them! When you know what roles you want to prioritize in your life, you’ll have an easier time saying “NO” to the distractions that inevitably come along.
My Core Values:
Relationships (Family & Friends)
My Highest Priority Roles:
Wife & Mother
Coach & Entrepreneur
I’ve seen these come across consistently in my life and choices over the last several years. How about you? What values do you see coming across your life? What choices do you make that seem to resonate the most strongly?
Click the buttons below to access some worksheets that will help you through the identification process. They’ll take you about 5-10 min each.
Where do I find the time?
I know, it can be so hard to think of adding one more task to our list! Stay with me though, because this can be some of the most important work that will truly make a difference down the road! Want to know a question most of my clients ask AT LEAST once during our time together?
How do I choose the most important things to work on every day, especially when I can’t get everything done on my list??
The answer is this work right here. You have to take the time, even just a few minutes a day, to step out of the weeds and get a bird’s eye view of where you’re headed.
So, some quick ideas of where to find the time:
- Wake up 15 minutes earlier
- Stay up 15 minutes later
- Go to the school pickup line with your materials
- Take a book/journal to dance/soccer/ninja practice
- Turn off the TV
- Stop scrolling on social media
How about you? Where might you snag 10-15 minutes out of your day?
I get it! It can be so hard to find the motivation, energy, time, and guidance necessary to walk these steps on your own.
I’m offering three ways that I can walk with you on this journey.
1. FREE!!! Follow my page on Facebook. For the entire month of October, I’ll be posting two live videos a week to walk you through the Goal Setting Process and encourage you! I’ll give you small steps that you can accomplish in short amounts of time. You can comment with questions or ideas and I’ll address them on that video, or on the next ones to come!
2. Goal Setting Workshop–A great, one day intensive workshop that will leave you ON FIRE?? for your dreams in 2020!!
Two dates available: Oct 25 & Nov 8.
3. Private Coaching–Need something more personalized and adjusted to your needs? Let’s have a free consultation to see how private coaching with me can change your trajectory.